JOB OPPORTUNITY – Executive Director
Job Type Unclassified
Location Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Closes June 1, 2017 at 11:59pm
About the Position
The Executive Director has overall responsibility for the implementation of the Atchafalaya National Heritage Area Management Plan by providing dynamic leadership for the planning, development, implementation, assessment and improvement of mission-related programs, revenue generation and financial management, strategic and annual planning, partnerships, community relations, legislative relations, marketing/public relations and other key areas. The Executive Director serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization with constituents and stakeholders and works as the liaison between the National Park Service, the Atchafalaya Trace Commission and the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
The Executive Director position is a Louisiana State Unclassified position within the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism. As a state employee, the Executive Director may choose from a variety of state benefits including insurance coverage, deferred compensation options and state retirement programs. The position is domiciled in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Critical to a candidate's consideration will be a demonstrated ability to increase the impact of the program, manage projects and staff, form and maintain effective partnerships, and to promote the program.
In leading the Heritage Area, s/he will be responsible for advancing its vision, mission, goals and objectives. The candidate must demonstrate knowledge of the geographical area and culture(s), natural and cultural resource preservation, education, outdoor recreation, and cultural and heritage tourism.
Duties and Responsibilities
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area Program
- Promote awareness of Atchafalaya NHA vision, mission, goals and objectives
- Implement the approved Management Plan by developing projects and initiatives that fulfill goals and objectives and Annual Work Plan goals consistent with National Park Service evaluation standards
- Develop and administer a Sustainability Plan to include additional funding strategies
- Prepare for and coordinate the National Park Service evaluation for reauthorization
- Develop and monitor project guidelines, cooperative agreements, contracts and work plans
- Manage federal allocations per Atchafalaya Trace Commission direction
- Ensure compliance with federal and state grant guidelines and reporting requirements
- Monitor program-related state and federal legislative issues
- Identify and cultivate relationships with stakeholders including, but not limited to, non-profits, tourism partners and state agencies
- Identify and develop funding and match fulfillment for programs and partners
- Supervise operations, staff and contractors
Atchafalaya Trace Commission
- Assist the Atchafalaya Trace Commission in fulfillment of its responsibilities as outlined in Louisiana R.S. 25: 1222 and R.S. 25: 1224, Public Law 109-338 and commission bylaws.
- Communicate to the commission opportunities for collaboration with organizations and agencies
- Coordinate commission meetings at least quarterly as required by statute, or as established by the commission
- Coordinate activities of the Executive committee and subcommittees
- Monitor commissioner and officer service terms and initiate required actions
- Maintain NHA best practices affiliation with national professional organizations
- Develop and maintain relationships with federal and state officials and legislators
- Collaborate on initiatives with the Department of Culture, Recreation & Tourism
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in cultural or heritage tourism, natural resources, historic preservation, community and economic development, outdoor recreation planning, communications, marketing.
- 3-plus years of experience in managing budgets, programs, staff, and programs implementation with demonstrated interest in cultural or heritage tourism.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and results driven.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter or related questions to Christine Hazlip, Human Resources Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Atchafalaya NHA Executive Director.